Sunday, August 21, 2011

Economic Indicators of the Roaring Twenties and Great Depression

- by New Deal democrat

I've been meaning to bookmark for future reference all of the posts I wrote in the last few months looking at economic indicators during the pre-WW2 deflationary era, and since it's a Sunday, now seems like a good time. Secondarily, there's an idiot at DK who is claiming that in my piece last week I neglected to look at indicators more than 50 years old, so my work is invalid, yadda yadda yadda - despite the fact that there was an entire section in that post devoted entirely to that era.

So, for the record, here are my prior posts discussing economic indicators from the period predating World War 2:

Professor Geoffrey Moore on Leading Indicators from 1854-1938

The Dow Jones Bond Average and pre-WW2 recessions

Real long term interest rates and pre-WW2 recessions

Money supply and pre-WW2 recessions

The yield curve and pre-WW2 recessions

Stock prices and pre-WW2 recessions

Commodity prices and pre-WW2 recessions

Housing starts as a pre-WW2 leading indicator

Corporate [BAA] bonds and pre-WW2 recessions

Economic Indicators during the Roaring Twenties and the Great Depression (V) (five part series examining the "Kasriel Recession Warning Indicator" of inverted yield curve and negative real money supply as applied to the pre-WW2 deflationary era).

So I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about.