Monday, October 17, 2011

Any Rand -- Idiot Of the Highest Order

From the Big Picture
“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves Orcs.”
First, I almost sent a bill to Barry for a new computer screen when I saw this quote; I found it that funny.  But, there is a certain "it wouldn't be funny if it weren't so true" element to it.

Here's the basic deal with Ayn Rand: she wrote fiction.  Yes, I realize it's an allegory, but that's not the point.  She could have said everything she needed to say in a few simple sentences, such as, "my work is mine alone to do with as I please, regardless of the choices I make regarding its use."  Instead, we're treated to a 1000 page pedantic monstrosity.  BORING.

I should also add -- for those of you who keep threatening to "go Galt," shut up and get on with it.