Thursday, October 6, 2011

Steve Jobs, RIP

I remember when I got my first iPhone.  I spent a few months telling my then wife-to-be all the great uses I could find for it.  I distinctly remember telling her that we could use the map feature to chart out our then house hunting endeavors and that we could find nearby restaurants during the process.  Eventually she said, "I'm not going to get one for you for a present," so I bought one within a few weeks and have been hooked on the product ever since. 

Jobs was a one-of-a-kind and probably once-in-a-lifetime figure.  Apple products are uniquely simple, which I believe is the sign of true genius.  It's like listening the Miles Davis play a melody; it sounds so simple until you try and transcribe it.  Then you realize the depth of the nuances involved.   Most importantly, Jobs was celebrated, raising the inventor to a new high in the public's mind.  Personally, I think that is what made him incredibly important -- that he was a hero who was a nerd. 

There are some big shoes to fill at Apple.  I hope someone, or a group of people, step up to the challenge.